please sign-in first
Social Volunteer Project, Animal Care Center
The animal centre is a centre where the people speak, protect and care for all the abused, abandoned and injured animals. Our main objective is sterilizing as many animals as they can on a yearly basis. Rescue animals in distress and provide education in terms of Animal Care.
In 1872 the centre was founded by a group of men in Wynberg. In 1946 they took over a farm in Grassy Park, which still is the residence of the animal centre.
Nowadays the centre has 79 full time employees. They have treated over 100 000 animals. Their vision is constantly striving to develop animal welfare. There a 5 department who has their own responsibilities. Besides an animal hospital there is also a mobile clinic which operates from around Cape Town.
Please use reference WV05 if you would like to apply
How does your trip to me help?
1st Volunteer tasks and functions:
*Exercising dogs, grooming cats, bathing of dogs, cleaning kennels and cages.
*Feeding puppies and kittens, in the adoption centre.
*Assisting with animals in the hospital.
2nd Volunteers tasks and functions:
*Assisting with fundraising projects.
*Manning a table at shopping centres.
*Helping at Fundraising events with set up or selling... More
Location: South Africa
Kickstart Work Experience and Travel
How to get there
Arrival in Cape Town
On arrival in Cape Town, we will welcome you at the airport and transfer you to your accommodation.
If you have booked the orientation days through us, you will be booked into a backpacker for three nights and experience Cape Towns most popular and famous spots like Table Mountain and Cape Point. You also get to explore Cape Town via a City Tour and experience a township.
Your Cape Town orientation will begin the Wednesday before your project begins.
So make sure, that you book a flight to Cape Town and allow for the extra time.
On your first day we will give you a lift to your project and introduce you to the staff and program.
How much does it cost?
Project fee - Euro 450
Project fee includes:
1. A financial donation to the organisation
2. Airport transfer to your accommodation
3. Orientation and introduction to the volunteer program
4. Help finding accommodation. Either shared or private use
5. Assistance and support from the project and Cape Life coordinators during your volunteer placement
6. Cape Town information package. Included in this package is a mobile phone SIM card, which allows you to gain access to the local mobile communications network. Other information includes, city map and list of “things to do”
7. Organised tours and activities with other international students.
8. Personal contact in Cape Town
Project fee excludes:
1. Flights and insurances
2. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
4. Transport in and around Cape Town including commuting to the volunteer placement
6. Personal expenses.
Available days/best time to come
Year round, although summer is a popular time (Dec, Jan, Feb)