please sign-in first
Teaching disadvantaged children
This Primary School is based in a predominately wealthy suburb of Cape Town, but serves the informal community of the area.
Unfortunately, area is still a divided community. The Township was intended to be home to some 2,000 people; today it is populated by more than 19,000, almost all are living in extreme poverty.
The school nearby the township has 1109 learners from Grade 1 through to Grade 8 and 24 educators. The primary school receives government funding but is desperately in need of volunteers to help teach the children literacy and numeracy.
Please use reference: SV02 if you would like to apply. Thanks
How does your trip to me help?
Every morning starts with a staff meeting to discuss the tasks, problems and needs of the day.
One class counts up to 60 children. The volunteer mainly assists the teacher in helping children with understanding problems or runs smaller workgroups on his own. The volunteers also look after the better students to keep them busy with new tasks.
It depends on the qualification and motivation of every volunteer how much he/she wants to be involved with independent teaching. The ... More
Location: South Africa
Kickstart Work Experience and Travel
How to get there
On arrival in Cape Town, we will welcome you at the airport and transfer you to your accommodation.
If you booked the orientation days through us, you will be booked into a backpacker for three nights and experience Cape Towns most popular and famous spots like Table Mountain and Cape Point. You also get to explore Cape Town via a City Tour and experience a township.
Your Cape Town orientation will begin the Wednesday before your school project begins. So make sure, that you book a flight to Cape Town and allow for the extra time!
On your first day we will give you a lift to your project and introduce you to the staff and programme.
Important note: You need to arrange your own transport as this project is located (20min drive from Cape Town City Centre) and public transport is not an option. We can help you finding the right accommodation and can give you various options of car hire and car purchase!
How much does it cost?
Youth and child care project fee - 450 Euro
*This fee is not depending on the length of stay of the volunteer!
3 Days orientation in Cape Town
Starts on the Wednesday before your project begins!
- Meet and Greet
- Airport transfer to accommodation
- Accommodation (3 nights)
- Township Tour
- Table Mountain
- Cape Peninsula Mountain Tour
- City Tour
Project fee includes:
1. A financial donation to the organisation.
2. Airport transfer to your accommodation.
3. Orientation and introduction to the volunteer programme.
4. Help finding accommodation. Either shared or private use.
5. Assistance and support from school and Cape Life coordinators during your volunteer placement.
6. Cape Town information package. Included in this package is a mobile phone SIM card, which allows you to gain access to the local mobile communications network. Other information includes, city map and list of “things to do”.
7. Organised tours and activities with other international students.
Project fee excludes:
1. Flights and insurances
2. All meals
4. Transport in and around Cape Town including commuting to the volunteer placement.
6. Personal expenses.
Available days/best time to come
All year round, although summer is a great time (Dec, Jan, Feb)